Job Post: Communications, Public Relations & Media Manager
Socially Responsible Agriculture Project (SRAP) informs and educates the general public about the negative effects of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs)—also known as factory farms—while working directly with U.S. communities impacted by this destructive form of industrial animal agriculture. Through public education, issue advocacy, and local community organizing, SRAP empowers rural residents to protect their public health, environmental quality, natural resources and local economies from the damaging impacts of factory farms. The organization is seeking to fill a new Communications, PR & Media Manager position.
Job Post Date: Nov. 6, 2020
Department: The incumbent will report to the National & Grassroots Collaboration Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Communications, PR & Media Manager works to propel SRAP’s image through consistent messaging and strategy. This manager will influence, generate and oversee the development of SRAP collateral, as well as internal and external communications and marketing strategies. The manager will liaise with media to help SRAP gain exposure in local, national and international media and will manage all social media accounts. Responsibilities may include:
- Work with National & Grassroots Collaboration Director to generate new ideas and strategies that will help further organizational goals;
- Create internal communications protocols and initiatives that will foster employee engagement and awareness of organizational efforts;
- Write and deliver internal newsletter on a monthly basis;
- Prepare and deliver detailed media activity reports to SRAP leadership;
- Track, organize and circulate media hits and social media hits related to SRAP or SRAP-related work;
- Organize and store media hits in media hits spreadsheet & appropriate SOS case files;
- When requested, edit and proofread grant applications and report materials written by SRAP leadership and staff.
- Monitor and respond to emails sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org inboxes;
- Manage and update the website when necessary;
- Create informative and interesting press releases, press kits, newsletters, social media campaigns and related marketing materials;
- Develop regular content for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts;
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies that build client loyalty programs, brand awareness, and client satisfaction;
- Define key performance indicators for each communications channel, which will indicate a campaign’s level of success;
- Oversee the creation of marketing and communications collateral to ensure that it is consistent with the organization’s brand, including white papers, website copy, and more;
- Write and deliver external newsletter on a monthly basis;
- Represent the organization at events and press conferences;
- Reach out to influencers, media and beyond in order to arrange story placement on a national and global level;
- Create communication and marketing strategies for new products, launches, events, and promotions;
- Collaborate on communication of victory and final reports to organization’s funders and key stakeholders;
- Develop and facilitate crisis management communications plans for staff, when necessary;
- Participate in, promote, host or contribute to webinars, podcasts and video series, when requested.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- Minimum three years of experience in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Graphic design experience is preferred.
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
Computer Skills: The incumbent must work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, database, Internet and spreadsheet software; in particular have proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with WordPress and email marketing services, a plus.
Compensation: Annualized at $50,000 to $60,000, dependent upon experience.
Location: Remote position, with evening and weekend hours and some travel expected.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered to the attention of Sherri Dugger, Executive Director, email@example.com. Please include the position title of Communications, PR & Media Manager in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.
SRAP is an equal opportunity employer. SRAP stands by the core organizational value of accepting all members of the communities it works in regardless of race, creed, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, citizenship standing or immigration status. SRAP also supports the rights of all residents to live in a safe and healthy environment and work in an equitable and humane workplace. In the spirit of fairness and equity for all, SRAP maintains the right to suspend or withdraw its support for any community group or partner organization based on demonstrated public bias, racial discrimination and statements or actions expressing a lack of inclusivity, respect and basic social justice. All employees and contract workers representing SRAP in any capacity are charged to support this effort and to respond promptly and appropriately to any concerns that may be contrary to the above listed statement.